Quick tips for teaching tots phone numbers:
- Start early: depending on a child, age 3 is achievable. Don't wait until your child enters school to begin teaching a primary phone number. The earlier, the better. Beyond a child being able to recite their first name and last name as well as city (and perhaps even entire address), a phone number can be memorized with practice and encouragement.
- Create a sing-song with numbers. Most agree that kids learn easiest with a simple song or rhyme. One simple melody that works well with repeating is Frere Jacques (Are You Sleeping?).
- Practice, practice, practice. Most tots can repeat a number in the short-term, but it takes practice, repetition, and more practice.
- Praise, praise, praise! Encourage long-term learning by having your proud tot recite a phone number to grandparents, neighbors, teachers, and friends. Reward your kid with a big hug, sticker, or other simple ways to show how proud you are of this achievement.
- Practice impromptu recitation. Try simple drills of asking a youngster to quickly recite the number when in the middle of something else or during busy/hectic times to encourage quick recall.